Friday, January 29, 2010

Method 3 - Clouds

Everthing in the clouds. My cloud is bigger than your cloud. It is nice to have access to everything I am working on, virtually anywhere I go without worrying that I might leave a usb drive behind. Cloud computing makes life easier, more convenient. But just as doing business on the web is easier and more convenient, we have learned it is not as private or protected as we are lured into believing. If Google or Zoho ( just examples)  fold or become "too big to fail" what happens to my data? If I die unexpectedly, what happens to my data? When will Google and others begin to charge  hefty fees to retrieve the data I have been storing on their servers for years?  I want the same conveniences as everyone else. I want to teach my patrons to use these tools but in the last year I have begun to wonder, if I don't worry about the big unknown, who will protect me later? Still, I use these resources and want to learn more.

Already the open source library automation companies are mining the data we put on their servers while charging us large fees. Will we all be paying companies to work for them over the next century?

THESE are just random thoughts provoked by taking a class on new technology.   ;  )

No comments:

Post a Comment